U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) regulations affect Field Work Term for international students during their first year. International students who have been in the country for less than nine months are not eligible to work off campus in the United States.

Options for First-year International Students

  • Working on campus.
  • Setting up a FWT job at home.

Most first-year international students choose to stay on campus or to return home. Low-cost, on-campus housing, arranged through Student Life, is available to first-year international students who choose to stay for the winter term. Campus employers, including Admissions, Student Life, the Computer Center, Crossett Library, and the Field Work Term and Career Development Office, may hire student employees during FWT. After nine months of full-time residency in the United States, international students can take paid FWT jobs as part of their Curricular Practical Training (CPT).