A student who wishes to leave Bennington for a term or more but wishes to be readmitted must submit the form for a leave of absence to the Associate Dean for Academic Services Office before the first class day of the anticipated term of leave. Leaves are generally granted for one or two terms only. In addition, departing students are required to have an exit interview with the Associate Dean for Academic Services or his assistant. The Associate Dean for Academic Studies considers the request and informs the student whether the request has been granted and, if so, any conditions of the leave. Leaves are not granted once a term has begun for that same term. In all such cases, the student must withdraw. A student cannot be on probation and granted a leave; in those instances a student must withdraw. Students planning to take a leave of absence should see information on housing assignments for re-entering students. International students should be aware that a leave may jeopardize their I-20 status. Please note that if a full-time student takes a leave of absence or withdraws after February 20, he/she is still required to complete all Field Work Term requirements and will be rated accordingly.

Going on Leave and Financial Aid

Students who take an approved leave of absence or decide to withdraw must make an appointment for a loan exit interview in the Financial Aid Office or do a loan exit interview online. Because the time away from classes is longer than the Federal Student Loan grace period, borrowers will be expected to begin loan repayment or to make alternative arrangements with the lender.

Financial aid recipients returning to Bennington after a leave of absence or a period of withdrawal must contact the Associate Dean for Academic Services' office. and re-apply for financial aid at least three months prior to re-entry.