On-Campus Employment

As an F-1 student, you may be eligible to work on campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week. Prior to working on campus, students need to apply for a social security number. Your International Student Advisor (ISA) will assist you with the application and provide a group trip to the Social Security Office in North Adams, MA, a 40-minute trip from campus. On-campus jobs include work in Dining Services, Crossett Library, the Student Center, Meyers Rec Barn, and administrative offices. For a complete listing of open jobs, visit WorkLink.

Practical Training

After F-1 students have been enrolled on a full-time basis for one full academic year, immigration regulations permit them to apply for employment related to their field of study through two types of Practical Training (PT).

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT): U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) defines CPT as an integral part of an established curriculum, including alternate work/study, internship, and/or cooperative education. Before registering for CPT you must first be lawfully enrolled on a full-time basis for at least one academic year and have a job offer. You can use CPT part time (20 hours per week or less) while school is in session, and full time, 20+ hours, during school breaks. Your CPT application must be approved by your faculty advisor to ensure that your CPT plan aligns with your academic plan. Your ISA will assist you with this process, register the CPT on Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), and produce a new I-20 form.
  • Optional Practical Training (OPT): OPT employment allows students to remain in the U.S. to work for up to 12 months after graduation, or to work off campus during their academic career. In order to be eligible, you must be enrolled on a full-time basis for at least one academic year. The I-765 application for OPT must be submitted to USCIS no more than 90 days prior to your program end date and no later than 60 days after you have completed your degree program. Any period of OPT used during your studies will be subtracted from the 12 month total limit. For more information, visit USCIS website.


If you work on campus, have CPT, or receive taxable scholarships or fellowships, you are required to file your Federal and Vermont State Income Tax with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Your employer will provide you with the required W-2 forms, and the Financial Aid Office will distribute letters outlining your sources of funding from the college. Both documents are needed to complete IRS form 1040NR-EZ or 1040NR. The ISS will provide you with a software program to help you complete and file your taxes. For additional support, consult an international tax consultant.