On-Campus Employment

As an F-1 student, you may be eligible to work on campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week. Prior to starting work on campus, students need to apply for a social security number. Your International Student Advisor (ISA) will assist you with the application and provide a group trip to the Social Security Office in North Adams, MA, a 40-minute trip from campus. On-campus jobs include work in Dining Services, Crossett Library, the Student Center, Meyers Rec Barn, and administrative offices. For more information on campus jobs, visit Student Employment.


All international students are required to report to the U.S. tax service each year, even if they did not work in the previous year. Not all international students will be required to pay taxes; but they at least need to report their presence in the U.S. This is a legal requirement.

International students who earn income in the U.S. may be obligated to pay taxes. Sources of income may include on-campus employment, practical or academic training, scholarships, fellowships, and any other compensation received in exchange for a service. In other words, “income” is not limited to wages paid through a paycheck; but also includes any portion of a scholarship, fellowship, or assistantship from a U.S. source paid to the College and applied to housing and meal expenses. The portion applied to tuition, fees, and books is not considered income. However, if scholarship money is provided directly to a student by check or cash, it is fully taxable even if the student intends to use it to pay for tuition, fees, and/or books.

Bennington College purchases a license to GLACIER Tax Prep Software for each international student to help them prepare their required tax filings.