Van and Shuttle Services
During the week, a local service shuttles to and from the campus to the towns of Bennington, North Bennington, Williamstown, and Manchester. Each week, during term, the College also offers shuttle service to the Albany train station, bus station, and airport, with additional times offered for Long Weekends, Thanksgiving break, and beginning and end of terms.
Important Albany Shuttle Service Information
- Inform Campus Safety (x0; from off campus 802‐442‐4250) or GMX (according to your email confirmation) of any changes to your itinerary immediately to avoid delaying other riders.
- Please remember that you will be responsible for the shuttle fee for all reservations not canceled prior to the deadline.
- Please remember that you may not be the only rider. Bennington College and Southern Vermont College students share the shuttles. If you are delayed for any reason, call the GMX office or Campus Safety immediately (please see your confirmation email).
Questions? Please contact the Office of Student Life (x4330; from off campus 802‐440-4330).
To sign up
- Online reservation form (for extended shuttle service only; for weekly shuttle reservations, please contact the Office of Student Life directly)
- In person | The Office of Student Life (Barn 113)
- During term: Monday–Friday, 9:00 am–5:00 pm
- During FWT and summer: Monday–Friday, 8:30 am–4:00 pm
- By phone | x4330 (802-440-4330 from off campus)
- By email
- Please note deadlines for shuttles on the extended shuttle schedule (see link above) and refer to the cost section below.
What we need
The following information is needed before we can confirm your reservation:
- cellphone number where you can be reached on the day of travel
- number of bags you will have with you
- how you want to pay the shuttle fee (cash, check, or Bennington Card declining balance)
- where you want to be dropped off/picked up (train, airport, or bus station)
- flight/train details (i.e., “Amtrak #88 arrives at 4:05 pm”)
The $35 fee can be paid by cash, check, or Bennington Card declining balance. If you have more than two bags, there will be a $10 fee for each extra bag. Reservations made after deadlines will be subject to a $10 late fee. Please note: If you ride without a reservation, the fare will increase to $60.00. Cancellations received after deadlines are nonrefundable.
- Office of Student Life | 802-440-4330 (x4330 from campus)
- Campus Safety | 802-442-4250 (x0 from campus)
- GMX | 802-447-0909 (dial "1" to reach after-hours emergency voicemail)
If you miss the shuttle
If your plans change on the day of travel, as soon as you become aware of a change or delay you must contact Campus Safety or Green Mountain Express (according to your confirmation email). If your call is not immediately answered, be certain to leave a callback number, along with your name and a brief message explaining your situation, and to leave your phone turned on to receive the callback. Your message will be returned within 20 minutes, and any pertinent information will be relayed to the driver. This ensures that the shuttle does not wait unnecessarily, and allows you to see what other arrangements can be made. Additional fees resulting from schedule changes are the responsibility of the passenger.
If the shuttle service does not work with your travel itinerary, there are several other options for getting to Albany, including:
- Vermont TransLines (Albany/Bennington/Burling) | departs from downtown Bennington/Pleasant Street bus station—Daily, 11:30 am (arrives Albany 12:30 pm); daily 3:30 pm (arrives Burlington, VT 7:30 pm)—approximate cost $7.50
- Yankee Trails Bus (Bennington to Albany), 800-822-2400 | departs twice daily on weekdays from downtown Bennington, intersection of School and Main Streets—Monday–Friday, 11:05 am (arrives Albany 12:50 pm) and 7:25 pm (arrives Albany 9:05 pm)—approximate cost $4.00
- AJ Transportation, 802-442-7129—approximate cost $100.00
- Global Link Travel, 802-442-8400 (now accepting credit and debit cards)
- KT Transportation, 518-728-5030—approximate cost $70.00 for up to two passengers (now accepting credit and debit cards)
- Upstate Green Cab, 518-956-0332—approximate cost $70.00; $10 for an additional passenger
- Yellow Cab, 518-434-2222—approximate cost $100.00
Delays and cancellations
Arrival times are subject to change due to unforeseen delays (weather, traffic, etc.), and passengers should be sure to factor such possibilities into their travel plans. Bennington College is not responsible for missed trains, buses, or planes due to shuttle delays. Please note: The driver is only able to wait for late arrivals for up to 15 minutes past the pickup time before departing. In the event of a shuttle delay or cancellation due to inclement weather, passengers will be notified at the number provided with your reservation two hours prior to the scheduled pickup.
The $35 fee is nonrefundable after the shuttle deadline unless otherwise specified by the Office of Student Life.