The mission of Health and Psychological Services is to support the health and well being of the students of Bennington College. Both services strive to help students consider the complex issues affecting their physical and psychological health. Health Services provides medical evaluation, routine and acute health care, and health education. Health Services staff are on call for telephone consultation 24 hours a day. Psychological Services provides short- and long-term psychotherapy, psychiatric evaluations, and mental health education. Psychotherapists are available to talk to students 24 hours a day. Both services seek to promote active participation of students in matters affecting their own psychological and physical health.
Health Services is located on the first floor of Commons and provides health care to students Monday through Saturday.
- Direct care includes, but is not limited to, care for acute and chronic illnesses and injuries, routine physical exams, laboratory testing, minor procedures, contraception, allergy injections, and appropriate referrals.
- Health education includes, but is not limited to, health maintenance, preparation for traveling abroad, promotion of safer sexual practices, nutrition, weight management, smoking cessation, sexuality, and substance abuse.
Psychological Services is located on the second floor of Commons (North Suite) and is open Monday through Friday. Licensed staff endeavor to provide students with an array of psychological services. We see psychotherapy both as a treatment to help students manage stressors and issues in their lives and also as a means for providing students the chance to explore their thought processes and underlying issues much in the way they strive to understand their academics. Towards this end, we offer care ranging from the treatment of stress and anxiety through cognitive methods, and skills training to ongoing exploration. We also provide couples' counseling, referral information, and, in appropriate cases, medication management.
EMERGENCY SERVICES—x210 (on campus)
AA and Al-Anon
Both AA and Al-Anon have weekly meetings in the local community. Students who wish to participate in AA, Al-Anon, ACOA, or NA networks in the area will find a full listing of off-campus meetings in the Health Services Office. Contacts and referrals for these and other groups are also available in the Psychological Services Office.
The Health Services and Psychological Services staff adhere to professional, ethical, and mandated standards of confidentiality. Health and Psychological services clinicians may consult with other professional staff members for the purpose of providing the best possible care to students. Other exceptions to the standard procedures of confidentiality occur when a student is assessed to be a danger to him/herself or others, when records are subpoenaed, or in reporting abuse (e.g., abuse or neglect of a minor) as required by law. In such cases, the student would be informed, if possible, and only the necessary information would be released.
- Health Services: Appointments are encouraged, but walk-in visits are taken on a first-come, first-serve basis and as dictated by the urgency of the presenting problem. Appointments can be made in person or by calling 802-440-4426.
- Psychological Services: To make an appointment with a psychotherapist or psychiatrist, students may call 802-440-4451, Monday through Friday.
- Emergency Services: Health and Psychological Services staff are available for emergencies 24 hours a day by dialing x210.
- Student health insurance: All full-time Bennington College students must be covered by a health insurance policy. Students (and their parents) who are covered by other insurance should be familiar with the geographic coverage of their policy, and whether “prior authorization” by their primary care provider is necessary for services away from home, particularly emergency services. Students should bring a copy of their insurance card to school.
- Health and psychological services: Fees for professional services, medications, supplies, procedures and immunizations are available from the administrative assistant by calling 802-440-4426.
- Charges not covered by a student's health insurance: Payment can be made by using your Bennington Card, cash, check, or credit card, preferably at the time of service. Students can choose to be billed and pay within 30 days.