Events and programs are added all the time to the online events calendar—share them, add them to your calendar, enjoy them! To have your event/program added to the calendar, please use the online submission form.
Academic Services Announcements
- In preparation for mid-terms, additional WRITING TUTORS will be available to work with students for the next two weeks. Be sure to sign up for an appointment! Sunday-Thursday, 8:00-10:00 pm, Crossett 2nd floor staff lounge.
- Applications for the PUBLIC ACTION GRANT FOR STUDY ABROAD are due on Friday, October 17.
- Crossett Library is now accepting applications (November 1 deadline) for the STUDENT LIBRARY RESEARCH GRANT. The competitively-awarded grant supports students traveling to a library or archive in order to use a specific research collection. The grant provides for the reimbursement of up to $300 in travel and miscellaneous expenses associated with the research. Application forms are available in Crossett Library and on the library’s website.
- Applications for STUDENT CONFERENCE GRANTS will be accepted on a rolling basis until Monday, November 15. Priority is given to students who present their work at conferences, though applications from student attendees are considered as well. See Noelle Murphy for details.
- Applications for the LONDON SCHOOL OF ECONOMICS SUMMER PROGRAM SCHOLARSHIP are due on Monday, November 17 at 10:00 am. Students with Plans concentrating in the social sciences are encouraged to apply.
- Bennington’s nominee for the DAVIS PROJECTS FOR PEACE will be awarded $10,000 in support of a project to be completed this summer. Applications are due January 15.
Please see Noelle Murphy with questions pertaining to grants and study abroad.
- All students interested in winter and spring sports at SVC , including men’s and women’s basketball, men’s volleyball, baseball, women’s lacrosse, or softball should contact Michiel Considine for more information.
- Southern Vermont College invites Bennington students to participate in their intramural flag football league this fall. Students are welcome to start their own teams or sign up as “free agents” and play for a team. Games will take place on Saturdays and Sundays. Contact Michiel Considine for more information.
- Interested in playing NCAA SPORTS at Southern Vermont College? All students interested in winter and spring sports at SVC, including men’s and women’s basketball, men’s volleyball, baseball, women’s lacrosse, or softball should contact Michiel Considine for more information.
From the FWT/CDO
- Remember to schedule an appointment to discuss FWT PROPOSAL ideas with your advisor before October 15.
- FWT INFORMATION SESSION FOR FIRST-YEAR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: Join Holly McCormack and Erica Walsh to discuss updates regarding the grant application process and on-campus employment during FWT. Monday, October 13 from 12:30-1:30 pm in the UpCafe.
- FWT GRANTS are due by the end of the day October 15. Grant applications can be found online in the FWT section of the Student Resources page.
- FWT GRANT APPLICATIONS AND FWT PROPOSAL REVIEW MEETINGS are due Wednesday, October 15. All grant applications and accompanying recommendations should be submitted via the online forms by 5:00 pm on Monday, October 13. Students should also be sure to meet with their faculty advisors to discuss their FWT proposal forms before Long Weekend. Notifications of official FWT approval will be distributed after registration on November 21.
- Do You Have Questions About WELLNESS ON CAMPUS? The Bennington College Wellness Peers Alana Cooper, Benny Ehlers, Zoe Heegaard-LeGros, and Abby Mahler welcome your questions and suggestions for programming, speakers, and services you’d like to see on campus. Please email BeWell with your input.
- Interested in talking about DRUG AND ALCOHOL ISSUES on campus? Come to Bennington Substance Support Thursdays at 9:00 pm in the EAC.
- The WELLNESS PEERS AND SEXUAL HARASSMENT ADVISORS will be holding open hours from 1:00-4:00 pm in the EAC every Sunday. Feel free to come by and chill out, do homework, or ask any questions you may have.
- EVER THOUGHT ABOUT QUITTING SMOKING? NO ONE THING WORKS FOR EVERYONE! Health Services is forming a group to discuss creative ways to quit, tailored to the individual. If you are interested, please contact Celia or stop in to say hello. Health services is located in Commons at the base of the stairs to the dining hall and we are open M-F 9:00 am-5:00 pm.
Student Clubs & Orgs
- The GERMAN TABLE will meet every Friday in the Student Center at 1:00 pm to speak German. All skill levels are welcome.
- GANAS will be tabling in Down Commons every day during lunch starting October 6. Come learn about how to VOLUNTEER in our Bennington’s town community in health care, education and more. Mate and food will be provided.
Click here for more information about student-led clubs and organiations.
- “A Conversation ” : Keyboard Music by Domenico Scarlatti, John Cage, and DAVID MACBRIDE, performed by David MacBride. Wednesday, October 15 at 8:00 pm in the Deane Carriage Barn.
- Be a hero! Volunteers and donors can sign up for the October 16 American RED CROSS BLOOD DRIVE in the Office of Student Life. Contact Jeanne Coleman for more information.
- The 3RD ANNUAL RUNDEAD will take place on Sunday, October 26 at Saratoga Springs. rUNDEAD is a 5K trail run where zombies are the obstacles! Sign ups are $15 and can be done in Student Life. Space is limited so be sure to sign up early!
- The 2015 SENIOR CLASS GIFT MEETING. will be held every Monday at 6:00 pm in the Purple Dining Room. We will discuss fundraising ideas and provide updates on our efforts to raise $20,000 for a quasi-endowed FWT grant. Hope to see you there!
- Applications for ON-CAMPUS HOUSING over FWT are now available in the Office of Student Life. Please see Tina Cooper or Jenna Goldstein for more information.
- Through a generous donation, Bennington is able, once again, to provide the NEW YORK TIMES Friday through Sunday in student houses, as well as in Down Commons on these three days. Sunday’s paper is also available in the MRB. Please feel free to pick one up and enjoy!
- The College is considering proposals from several MARKETING FIRMS TO ASSIST US IN COMMUNICATING WHAT WE DO, HOW WE DO IT, AND WHY; to help us broaden our reach; and to set the stage for the redesign of the website. Finalists will be invited to campus and to offer open presentations to the community. Watch for details for times this week and/or the weeks of Oct 13 and Oct 20.
Once we have confirmed the visits, we will be in touch with more information about the firms.
- STUDENT CENTER GRAB ‘N GO ADDITIONS As you may have noticed, beginning this week, students may use their dinner meal plan for either the traditional Grab ‘n Go menu options or can choose to take out a frozen prepared meal or dried pasta/rice meal from the student center convenience store. In addition, the Student Center has added yogurt and granola bars as part of the Grab ‘n Go menu options, and has already begun to expand other selections in Grab ‘n Go to include more vegan and gluten free options.
- Space on Albany shuttles is still available for Long Weekend travelers.
Contact the Office of Student Life for more information.
- The Office of Student Life has organized TWO DAY TRIPS over Long Weekend, October 18 & 19.
SATURDAY: Visit St. Johnsbury, VT and puzzle your way through the Nation’s largest corn maze!
SUNDAY: Get to know the City of Burlington, VT and the waterfront of beautiful Lake Champlain! These trips fill up fast, so drop into Barn 113 to sign up now! Both trips depart at 8:00 am sharp, and pre-payment is required.