Outdoor Recreation Activities
Staff members are encouraged to take advantage of the recreation facilities offered both on and off campus. Outdoor recreation facilities include three tennis courts, a basketball court, and a soccer field. Hiking is available on the College’s Blue Trail, which winds through the wooded parts of campus and connects to several good trails throughout the region. The trailhead is located behind the Davis Alumni House.
The College has partnered with the Bennington Tennis Center to manage its outdoor courts and provide an active program for students, staff, and faculty. To reserve a court, contact 802-379-6595 or visit their website.
The Office of Student Life can provide information on racquet and health clubs in the area. The College has a relationship with The Bennington Recreation Center, a local facility that offers a handicap-accessible, six-lane, 25-yard indoor pool, saunas, and other recreation facilities. Membership discounts are available for individuals and families; please inquire directly at the facility for details. To take advantage of the savings, contact Human Resources and you will be provided with an employment verification letter that you will need to present to the recreation center.
Outing Club Rental Gear
Want to get outdoors but don’t have the equipment? The Outing Club can help you out. Rental gear is available to all Bennington College community members—students, faculty, and staff—for a very low cost. The following items are available for rent: sleeping bag, tent, backpack, ground pad, snowshoes, cross-country skis, head lamp, lanterns, and more. Please note that the Outing Club is also able to supply bear bags, water purification tablets, and cooking kits for trips to the backcountry. Please ask for these items in advance. Contact the Office of Student Life for additional details.
Apple® Education Discounts
Apple® is offering special pricing and discounts to employees working in higher education. Employees may be eligible to receive substantial discounts on a variety of favorite Apple products, including MacBook, Mac Desktops, software products, iPods, accessories, refurbished items and more. Best of all, employees can redeem the discount at any local Apple Store, the Apple Store online, or over the phone at 800-692-7753. Please note that this offer by Apple® is subject to change without notice.
- Langway of Bennington: Langway, a local auto dealership, has partnered with General Motors to offer The GM Educator Discount Program to faculty and staff. The program provides supplier pricing, plus individuals can combine these savings with most other current offers on the purchase or lease of select vehicles. The discount program is available through September 30. In addition, Langway indicates that there is a discount program available for recent graduates. For complete details, please contact Paul Funesti directly at 802-447-2301 (x212).
- Stephen’s Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge of Bennington: Stephen's is pleased to offer select discounts and savings on service visits, Vermont State Inspection, and oil changes. For specific details or to schedule an appointment, please contact Greg Restino at 802-681-7458 and mention this offer.
Employees of Bennington College are eligible to receive discounts from participating retailers of our local Chamber of Commerce. For a complete list of Chamber discounts, please visit the Chamber online. Employees will need to present a Chamber membership card to obtain the discounts. Membership cards are available in Human Resources.
The College Bookstore offers a 20% discount to all faculty and staff on clothing purchases. Some exceptions may apply. Please contact the Bookstore for details.
College Passes/Art Exhibitions
Crossett Library has circulating passes available for free admission to several museums and parks. Passes to The Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, MASS MoCA, Vermont State Parks and Historic Sites, and others are available for check out at the Circulation Desk. The process is as easy as checking out a book, just be sure to bring your College ID.
- Sterling and Francine Clark Art Institute, Williamstown, MA: The collections focus on European and American painting, sculpture, works on paper, and decorative art from the Renaissance to the early twentieth century. The Institute's greatest strengths lie in nineteenth-century European and American painting, especially the French Impressionists. The collection includes work by Cassatt, Degas, Monet, Renoir, Homer, and Sargent. The Clark Art Institute passes can also be used at some North American Reciprocal Museum (NARM) Association Members. Check with the individual museum before going to ensure the passes will be accepted.
- MASS MoCA, North Adams, MA: Housed on a 13-acre campus of renovated 19th-century factory buildings MASS MoCA is the largest center for contemporary arts in the United States. The institution is dedicated to the creation and presentation of provocative visual and performing arts pieces, and of works that blur conventional distinctions between artistic disciplines.
- Bennington Museum, Bennington, VT: As the largest art and heritage repository in southern Vermont, the museum houses diverse collections reflecting the history of early Vermont and historically associated areas of New York and Massachusetts. Art and artifacts range in date from the early 18th century to the present. Items include the largest public collection of paintings by the American folk artist Grandma Moses.
- Vermont State Parks and Vermont Historic Sites: The pass admits one vehicle holding up to eight people to a Vermont State Park or Vermont Historic Site for one day. The library pass program is co-sponsored by the Vermont Department of Libraries, the Vermont Department of Forests, Parks and Recreation, and the Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Bennington College offers discount tickets to the following theme parks. Please contact Human Resources for discount details.
- The Great Escape and Splashwater Kingdom: The Great Escape is a Six Flags Theme Park located in Lake George, NY. This amusement park offers 135 attractions including seven roller coasters, daily shows, and a huge water park. They are located between exits 19 and 20 of Interstate 87. For additional information, visit the Great Escape online.
- Bromley Sun Mountain Adventure Park: Bromley is a family-friendly mountain offering a mix of terrain (trails and glades) to please and challenge every skill level. In addition to winter fun, Bromley also offers a host of summer activities. The Bromley Mountain Adventure Park features an Alpine slide, giant swing, "The Big Splash," a 24-foot climbing wall, bumper boats, 18-hole championship mini golf, and much more. For additional information, visit Bromley online.
Verizon Wireless Discount
Verizon Wireless offers discounts to educational partners. Employees may be eligible to receive discounts up to 18% on monthly calling or data plans, phones, and accessories. Visit Verizon online, enter your work email, and select “Check for Discounts” to determine your eligibility for discounts. For additional information on products and services, contact our local Verizon Wireless business specialist, Todd Johnson at 802-881-1734.
Southern Vermont Arts Center
Southern Vermont Arts Center (SVAC), located in Manchester, Vermont, is offering discounts on their summer art programs and events. SVAC workshops offer a wide variety of educational opportunities for all ages. Classes range from adult watercolors to summer camps for kids. SVAC is offering a 10% discount on summer programs and events. For more information, or to register, please contact Anne Marie Webber at 802-367-1302.