U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) regulations affect Field Work Term for international students during their first year. International students who have been in the country for less than nine months are not eligible to work off campus in the United States.

Options for First-year International Students

  • Working in a paid position on campus (although openings are limited).
  • Deferring their first FWT to summer.
  • Arranging an FWT position in one’s home country.
  • Arranging an FWT position abroad in compliance with relevant visa requirements.

For those students that choose to remain on-campus, low-cost, on-campus housing, arranged through Student Life, is available for the duration of Field Work Term. Campus employers, including Admissions, Student Life, the Computer Center, Crossett Library may hire student employees during FWT. After nine months of full-time residency in the United States, international students can take paid FWT jobs as part of their Curricular Practical Training (CPT).