Roughly ten percent of Bennington’s campus is comprised of international students: highly qualified, motivated, deeply curious individuals who thrive in the small, creative, close-knit community Bennington provides. Students come from all over the world— Pakistan, Nepal, Japan, Brazil, Ukraine, Jamaica, England, Canada, Mexico, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Iran and elsewhere. Like all of our students, international students bring distinctive experiences, insight and perspectives—differences that are uniquely embraced at Bennington. Here, students are not only surrounded and supported by their peers, but also by a group of world renowned, international faculty members.
Applying as an International Student
If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States you are an international student. You will complete the same application and be evaluated the same way all Bennington applicants are evaluated. However, as an international student there are just a few additional steps.
- If you are not a native speaker of English you will need to take the Test Of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), unless the primary language of instruction at the secondary school level is English. You must demonstrate competence in English before you will be considered for admission; the College does not offer courses in English as a Second Language. A minimum TOEFL score of: 90–91 for the internet-based test, 233 for the computer-based test, or 577 for the paper-based test is required. A band score of 7 or more on the Academic Module of the IELTS exam is also acceptable.
- The equivalent to a U.S. high school diploma is required.
- Although it is not required, we strongly encourage you to take either the SAT or ACT.
Scholarships and Financial Aid for International Students
Bennington offers special scholarships each year to outstanding international applicants. These scholarships range in amount from full to partial, and are determined only after all applications are received and on the recommendation of the Admissions Committee.
Required Forms and Important Notices
- Regardless of whether or not you will apply for financial aid, if you enroll at Bennington, you are required to submit an International Student Certification of Finances. This form, which must be received and approved before the College issues an I-20 Form, verifies that you have the financial resources for all coming years at Bennington to meet expected education costs not covered by financial aid. Financial aid recipients complete the Certification after they receive a financial aid award.
- If you intend to apply for financial aid you must submit the documents listed on the How to Apply checklist. Financial Aid deadlines are the same as Admissions.
- Financial Aid is available to international students in all admissions rounds: Early Decision I, Early Decision II, Early Action, and Regular Decision.